Welcome to Episode 8 of Triggers and Spiritual Medicine podcast with host, Laura Bonetzky-Joseph and guest trauma educator, Melanie Brown TOPIC: Addressing Trauma in Yoga Practices
In this episode, Melanie shares her experiences as a trauma survivor, yogi, and trauma educator when she went to a yoga class in the Boston area that was NOT only as advertised – which created harm – but when the class actually triggered Melanie, the yoga instructor was dismissive of the harm the class had which created a secondary harm.
We talk about white washing sacred practices and the various unintentional harms committed by westerners.
Melanie shares 3 tips for yoga instructors and studio owners on how to improve so unintentional harm is NOT perpetrated, and she share 3 tips for anyone looking for a yoga class on how to find one that is more trauma informed.
Click here to subscribe to our YouTube Channel. Scroll below for more resources and information.
or LISTEN HERE.
Embeing’s® Melanie Lynn Brown holds an MA Ed. in Mindful Education and Trauma Studies from Lesley University and a BA in Government from Smith. She has spent 20 years working in Education with trauma survivors and in political advocacy. She formed Embeing®, a consultancy, to teach and promote both macro and micro trauma education, trauma-informed policies and compassionate systems analysis. She takes on a limited number of personal clients, primarily under 18 years, to support nervous system regulation and holistic wellness. Her clients include trauma survivors and autistic young people. Her approach is best described as “empowerment through education.” You can reach Melanie at: www.embeingempowered.com
ADDITIONAL RESOURCE LINKS:
- The Wisdom of Trauma by Dr. Gabor Mate
- The Center for Trauma and Embodiment at JRI: TCTSY, is an evidence-based, adjunctive treatment for complex trauma and complex PostTraumatic Stress Disorder. TCTSY is equally accessible to all regardless of the characteristics of a person. They offer virtual yoga classes for those not able to attend at their Boston location.
- Yoga International Magazine article on how to avoid cultural appropriation in yoga- This article is a must read for white yoga teachers. It offers opportunity for deep reflection accompanied by pragmatic advice for those wanting to remain mindful of the cultural appropriation of Yoga in America.
- How The Burning Times of Witches Influence White Women Culture Today https://youtu.be/8EtUM-rjrfE
- CDC ACE Study on the adverse childhood events
- NIH/NCBI Research Article: The Relation Between Adverse Childhood Experiences and Adult Health: Turning Gold into Lead:
- The Bystander Effect as published by Psychology Today
- LinkTREE links for website, resources, social media, books, and more. https://linktr.ee/HealingWithSpirit
ABOUT TRIGGERS & SPIRITUAL MEDICINE:
Vision: To break the unrecognized endemic of unresolved unhealed trauma & create sustainable systems for recovery, healing & empowerment.
Mission: To help others rediscover the power that lies within and to find that treasure buried in the depths of the shadows. To help them become their own superhero.
We hope by addressing the intersectionality and connect the dots like a web of many of society’s challenges, we can help others understand the trauma infection that impacts all areas of life – addiction, domestic violence, racism, homelessness, sexual abuse, chronic health issues, cancer, environmental issues, climate change and more. In this NEW collaborative program, we hope by highlighting these infected areas and what they share in common, a new perspective of solutions, healing, and resolutions can be birthed.
Click here for more information: https://laurahealingwithspirit.com/healing/trauma/triggers-spiritual-medicine/