~ Rediscover your body’s ability to heal itself ~
Westernized Usui Reiki
Reiki is a Japanese hands-on and distant healing modality and practice that is natural and non-invasive.
Reiki balances body, mind, heart, and spirit in a structured way through light, gentle, non-intrusive touch and compassionate intention and regard. The human body was designed to heal itself. Reiki taps into the body’s innate abilities.
This form of westernized Japanese healing is based on the idea that an unseen “life force energy” flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one is frequently sick or under a lot of stress, the chances are one’s life force energy is low. Now if the life force is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy.
This form of reiki was introduced to the west by Mrs. Hawayo Takata in 1938. She described reiki as “a cosmic energy to heal the ill”.
The more westernized Usui form of reiki was introduced primarily to reduce stress. Considering that over 70% of medical visits to a primary care physician are due to stress related illnesses, it is no wonder reiki has taken off here in the west. It is effectively used in hundreds of medical facilities, hospice organizations, and hospitals throughout the USA, and many medical studies have been conducted on its effectiveness.
Reiki complementary with all other alternative or traditional medical treatments, but not recommended as a substitute. If you would like to learn more about reiki, please read, “What is Reiki”
Laura is trained in two forms of reiki – Jikiden Reiki (Shihan) and Usui Reiki (Reiki Master Teacher) For more about Laura, click here.
To learn more about Reiki, please read Laura’s blog.
Usui Reiki Classes
Classes are ideal for those who want to learn self healing and/or want to learn to heal others.
Most forms of reiki taught in the USA are what we call westernized as taught by Mrs. Takata who introduced reiki to the west. They were modified over time to blend with our western American culture.
There are 4 levels to learn in Usui Reiki. Level I, II, III (ART), IV RMT. Most classes are taught in one full day.
There is no real accreditation process in learning reiki. Therefore, it is recommended you thoroughly research your instructor to ensure a proper fit and to ensure the teacher has enough clinical reiki experience to guide you through the process.
Sometimes, other non-reiki elements are added in the classes including use of crystals, pendulums, chakras, grids and more. This can be confusing as these are NOT reiki, but are regularly taught in westernized forms of reiki.
Animal and Pet Reiki
Reiki is not just for people. Our pets love it too.
Here is what one pet owner had to say:
” Laura has been a true blessing to my family, and most certainly to my little Gizmo! Her animal reiki sessions have been an amazing and positive experience each and every time.
When I had to take my 15 year old dog to the vet and Laura had felt it was “kidneys, possibly stones” she was right on. My vet was even amazed after his ultrasound showed kidney stones and I told her Gizmo has been recieving reiki on a regular basis and one of the reasons I brought him to be checked.
I always feel better after a session knowing that he will be comfortable and happy.
Thank you so much, Laura, for all you do and have done for us! “
– Dianne Purcell
Reiki Sessions: Reiki available for Animals, Children, and Adults and specialize in trauma associated with abuse and end of life issues.
Reiki Training: Reiki workshops offered in the Boston area.
* Reiki or energy healing is not meant as a substitute for traditional medical care.
Usui Reiki Level I Workshop and Certification or Usui Reiki For Self Care
These classes are taught one full day usually on a weekend. Weekday classes are taught by request.
THIS IS A STUDENT LEVEL
This level of reiki you learn reiki for the physical healing and self care. It is considered a student level and introduction to the world of reiki. Students will learn the basics of human energy and its relationship to health and receive an intro to applications of reiki in other fields and uses.
Many times we start of with spiritual cleansing (not reiki, but many times incorporated into the classes).
What you learn includes:
- Opening meditation or prayer to join the group to the Higher Power and to each other.
- Reiki Talk, the different levels, and applications of use
- What is Rei-ki and how does it work?
- Reiki History and terminology
- Gassho meditation
- Reiki I attunement (reiju)
- Practical hands on Reiki training and experience
- Byosen Scanning for self and others
Usui Level II Workshop and Certification
In Reiki II the focus is higher – in the emotional and mental bodies. Physical healing (learned in Reiki 1) means the clearing of disease and other negative physical body conditions. Emotional and mental healing means the clearing and revising of what the student thinks and feels.
THIS IS A STUDENT LEVEL
What you will learn:
- Learn the Reiki symbols and how to use them in distance healing, scanning, and healing techniques.
- The use of these symbols increases the power and focus of the hands-on healing technique learned in Reiki I.
- This workshop will also continue with the knowledge learned in Reiki I including: meditation, chakra clearing, hands on healing, and grounding the energy.
- Receive an attunement
** Prerequisites: Usui Reiki Level 1 certification is required to take this course.
Usui Level III (ART) Workshop and Certification
This is one of the two final steps to the Usui training, which is the original Dr. Hayashi approach and the way Japanese masters continue to teach.
The first part is called Reiki III, Reiki 3(a), Advanced Reiki Training, or the Practitioner Level (as in Japan) which is what will be taught in this class and includes the Usui 4th (master) symbol and its use, and another attunement.
Students are asked to be proficient in the first four symbols. You will learn to be attuned to and practice the two Tibetan symbols. A Master Manual will be given from the International Center for Reiki Training by William Rand. Students will be required to have read the manual by the next level (part B) and be able to perform attunements to become fully certified as a Reiki Master.
*** Pre-Requisites: Certification and Completion of Usui Level II
Usui Reiki Master Teacher
Part B – USUI LEVEL IV/RMT will be arranged to complete your training if you choose to move forward as a reiki instructor and become fully certified. In this class you learn how to teach Usui Reiki and give attunements to others.
*** Pre-Requisites: Certification and completion of Usui Level III
Suggestions in finding the right teacher:
You want to ask questions if you have never received a reiki treatment from them or taken any classes from them. Here is a guide to help you:
1. Do they practice full time?
2. How many hours a week are they performing on others? I say hours, because in western reiki, many sessions can be 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or longer. You want a teacher who performs a minimum of 5-10hrs a week.
3. How many clients do they see weekly? This is important as it goes to experience.
4. How long has the teacher been practicing reiki? Full time? Most teachers are incredible at their craft and teaching ability. However, in rare situations, some are getting certified to teach in a weekend with no experience and very little if any experience teaching. So this is something to inquire as it will reflect once again the experience level of your teacher.
5. How long have they been teaching?
6. What have they learned throughout the years as a teacher?
7. What continuing education classes are they taking to keep up to date as well as to master their craft? This is something that is extremely important and unfortunately many stop once they receive the piece of paper certifying them as if that is all there is to learn. The founder of reiki, Mikao Usui himself, created a level he himself never obtained. The reason for this was to maintain the mindset of the student and to always keep learning.
8. Does your teacher offer regular Reiki Shares to help you practice what you are learning? This is something many do not realize when they sign up for a class is crucial to your reiki development and training.